Honey is packed with immunity boosting vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that help in boosting immunity and in fighting infections during the winter months. It is also good for maintaining healthy skin and hair. So, this winter season give honey a chance to heal you from within!
Here are some easy ways to use honey for fighting common winter problems :
1. For Cold
- Take one tablespoon of honey at the first sign of a cold or cough. You may add honey and lemon juice to tea or warm water if you do not want to consume it raw
- For severe cold, take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This will help clear the sinuses.
- Mix a tablespoon of raspberry leaves or lemon juice with two cups of hot water. Add a teaspoon of honey and let the mixture cool to room temperature. Use it as a gargling solution every morning
2. For Cough
- Roast around 4 to 5 black peppers on slow flame. Then, cool and grind them into fine powder.
- To half a spoon of honey, add a pinch of this powder.
- Mix well and consume it. Do this regularly every morning to prevent cough, cold and sore throat.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of honey with equal quantity of ginger juice. Add this to a glass of warm water. Have this every morning. This concoction helps to expectorate mucus, providing relief for the common cold, coughs and sore throat
3. For Dandruff
- Mix 90% honey with 10 % warm water and rub into the scalp for a few minutes.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave on for three hours, then rinse.
- Do this every other day for four weeks.
- After four weeks, reduce the frequency to once a week to prevent relapse
4. For Dull Skin
- Honey helps to rejuvenate the dull winter skin.
- To hasten re-hydration, add 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Combine the ingredients and apply to your face/body. Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing with tepid water.
Choose good quality honey. It is almost impossible to know the quality of honey by just looking at it through the bottle. Read the ingredient list carefully to check for “additives” or “added flavors”. A bottle with a “Pure honey” label may be diluted with water or sweetened with corn syrup. It is always better to go for a trusted or well known brand.